Museums and heritage
Reims, Cité des Sacres
Reims welcomes you with its must-see sites, designated a UNESCO World Heritage: The Notre-Dame Cathedral and the Palace of Tau, or the Saint-Remi basilica and museum, dedicated to the bishop who baptized Clovis.
Monuments and museums show Reims' history, from the Gallo-Roman to the modern era, including the Art Deco style.
The city of Reims is also famous around the world because its name is written on the labels of great champagne's brands. The champagne-makers are behind the fame and the prestige of the city because of their talent and their passion.
These Houses invite you to discover their cellars, where lie for many years their precious cuvees, which will be celebrating the simplest as well as the craziest events all around the world.
Cathedral Notre-Dame of Reims
Notre-Dame of Reims was built in the 13th century, and is known for the coronation of the Kings of France. Notre-Dame of Reims is one of the greatest achievements of the Gothic style in Europe, especially its stained-glass windows and its statuary “l'Ange au sourire” (the Angel with a smile). After Clovis' baptism in Reims in 498, 25 kings were crowned in the cathedral.
Palace of Tau
The Palace of Tau is now the House of the Notre-Dame museum. The treasures of the Cathedral and a part of the original statuary of the church are displayed there.
Reims museum of Fine Arts
Built in 1794, it contains one of the most prestigious collection of a local French museum. It displays the biggest artistic movements from the 16th to the 20th century throughout paintings, sculptures, furniture and artifacts.
The Romano-Gothic basilica is a great achievement of Romanesque Art in the north of France. It was built in the 11th century to shelter the Holy Phial as well as Saint Rémi's relics. He was the bishop who baptized Clovis in 498. Saint Rémi's grave (1847).
Saint Rémi History Museum
The museum is located in an old Benedictine abbey from the 17th and 18th centuries. Around the cloister, the different rooms display artifacts related to Reims' history, from the prehistory to the Second World War, including the Gallo-Roman archeology.
The Carnegie Library is one of the most beautiful buildings in Reims. Nearby the Palace of Tau, in the historic heart of the city, the Carnegie Library draws attention. It hosts the collections of the Saint-Rémi and the Saint-Nicaise abbeys, and most importantly the one of the Cathedral's chapter.
Sous la place du Forum a été dégagée l'une des trois galeries semi-enterrées qui formaient le cryptoportique gallo-romain. Construites vers l'an 200, ces galeries, qui servaient au stockage des grains, sont parmi les rares à avoir été exhumées dans le monde.
Le Vergeur Museum Hotel
The Le Vergeur Hotel was built from the 13th to the 16th century. It has a beautiful internal frontage built in Renaissance style. The Museum, house of Hugues Kraft in the 1930s and left in that state, displays the furniture, paintings, engravings and artifacts of the patron, as well as original woodcuts from Durer.
The Planetarium has reopened in a new building, shaped as the solar system. It recreates the celestial archway to give a realistic view of the night sky. Much information on astronomy is also available.
Reims Champagne Automobile Museum
Nearly 200 vehicles, both cars and motorcycles, from 1908 to the present day, some only manufactured in a few copies, are exhibited in the Reims Champagne Automobile Museum.
You can admire many prestigious brands, rare motorcycles, as well as nearly 110 pedal cars. That old manufacture displays a collection of enameled license plates and has a room full of 5000 model and toy cars. Genuine Taxi of the Marne.
The Mars Gate is the only remaining arch of the 3rd century that gave access to the Gallo-Roman town of Durocortorum. 108 feet long, it is made of 3 archways, edged with Corinthian columns.
Boulingrin Covered Market
25 after it was closing and risking demolition, the Boulingrin Covered Market, and its neighborhood, live again. The Boulingrin Covered Market was built in 1927 by the architect Emile Maigrot and the engineer Eugène Freyssinet, after an architectural contest launched in 1922 to create a wholesale and retail market. It was then closed in 1988.
Listed historical monument, it was restored and reopened in September 2002.
The neo-Romanesque chapel, whose real name is Notre-Dame-de-la-Paix, is located nearby the historical center of Reims. After his conversion to Christianity, the Japanese painter Leonardo Foujita built this chapel.
Fort de la Pompelle Museum
The Fort de la Pompelle was built in 1883 about 5 miles to the southwest of Reims to help defend the city. Bombed during the war, it was the keystone of Reims' defensive system.
Le Manège and Le Cirque
By the side of the Patte d'Oie park stands one of the rare permanent arenas that still exist in France. It was built in 1865 by Narcisse Brunette.
Restored in 1984, it was rearranged in 1990 to become the multi-task room we know today. To protect its architectural and cultural integrity, the frontage, the roof and the outside gate are legally protected: it was listed historic building in 1994.
Built during the 12th and the 13th centuries, Saint-Jacques Church survived the French Revolution.
Don't miss the stained-glass windows created by Maria Helena Viera Da Silva (1967) and Joseph Silva (1965) and manufactured in the Simon-Marcq workshop in Reims.
For details, reservations or any other question, please call us (+00 33 3 26 47 28 46) or use the Online Booking page
See also :Champagne houses